Dean & Barrett
Call for a free consultation 334-787-9991
Legal Services

Is my child support order set in stone?

You went through the divorce process a while ago and have been making monthly support payments for your children ever since. You have been fine with this up until now, when your economic situation took a turn for the worse. Now you are wondering if your child support order is set in stone or if the state of Alabama allows you to change it if you need to.

Believe it or not, you may be able to get a child support order modification. You can do this in one of three ways.

Negotiate with your ex

If you are struggling to meet your support obligation due to a change in your income level, you can talk to your ex and try to work out a new arrangement without having to go to court. You can do this privately but it is recommended that you have the assistance of legal counsel. If you can reach an agreement, whether it is permanent or temporary, you should document the change so that your ex cannot take you to court for failure to pay. The new agreement can be sent to court for approval.

Out-of-court request

Some child support orders include a cost of living clause. If your order has this clause, you may be able to file for a support adjustment without ever having to set foot in a courtroom. A judge will simply review your request, your current support order and your financial documentation and then decide if a modification is justified.

In-court request

If negotiating a new child support agreement with your ex is not working or your order does not have any clauses that permit a support adjustment, you can file an official modification request in court. It is important to file this request with the same court in which your current support order originated.

In going this route, you and your ex may need to attend a hearing at which both parties will be able to present their cases for or against the modification request. A judge will then make a final decision on the matter.

Get help

A child support order is not always set in stone. Courts understand that parents may experience a change in economic circumstances at some point. While this may be the case, it does not mean that support adjustments are easy to come by. If you are in need of a child support modification, a family law attorney may be able to assist you.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Contact Dean & Barrett For A Free Consultation Ready to discuss your case? You can call us at 334-787-9991 for a free consultation. You can also reach us via email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Opelika Office
457 South 10th Street
Opelika, AL 36801

Phone: 334-787-9991
Fax: 334-749-5857
Opelika Law Office Map Link

Mailing Address
Mailing Address
P.O. Box 231
Opelika, AL 36803

Get In Touch